Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Owlcrate: Royalty (June 2016)

I wish I had my life more together to get you these book box unveiling posts quicker but alas, it's just not meant to be, lambs.

The theme for Owlcrate's June box was Royalty, and I honestly thought we were going to go maybe a Beauty and the Beast direction, perhaps in a Maleficent direction, but no. We went a really kind of... odd/half assed direction.

So here are my box contents all spilled out. Admittedly, it feels like less than normal?  The main component of the box is obviously the book so this month we got My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows. It's supposed to be kind of a play on Princess Bride, so we'll see. We also got a handwritten note from the authors, very cool, and a paper crown, totally stupid and pointless. Even my one year old thought it was dumb. It's definitely not a book I would have picked up while looking at shelves in my beloved book store but I guess it's always a surprise. It'll get read eventually, it's not on the top of my list though.
They did partner with Funko again and each box got a different Mini. I happen to get the chick from the movie Brave, and I hated that movie, so I was pretty damn disappointed. I actually mailed it to a friend who has a daughter who would love it. We also got a really beautiful handmade bracelet from Rich Love Shoppe and it's inspired by the book Cinder.  Easily my favorite thing in the box for sure. I also loved the print inspired by the book Red Queen, which was created by Evie Bookish. This one I'll likely find a cool frame for my office.
Oh yes, a close up of the bracelet so you can see the actual design.

The box teaser said we'd be getting something fun from Craftedvan, and I'm a fan of their stuff so I was pretty excited. Turns out, just another set of magnetic bookmarks I won't use because they are kind of the shittiest type of bookmark you can have. I don't know about anyone else, but I always get little tears on the top of my pages from them and meh.. I usually toss them.
The theme for July is Good versus Evil and we don't know if we're getting a good box or an evil box. I hope over everything in this world that I get an evil box because I have HIGH HOPES for it. The teaser card said we would be receiving a full sized POP figure from Funko, so again, I want an evil box! Please, please, please! No more of this princess bullshit. Just sayin.

1 comment:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I think I would have liked this box, but sorry you didn't get much you wanted/enjoyed. I've heard really good things about My Lady Jane so maybe you'll like it? The bracelet is cool though. I do love the Lunar Chronicles. It's a bummer when the funko and things like that are random because you never know. I personally like Brave, but it's always a 50/50 shot.

-Lauren