Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Triple Love Score

Can we just talk about how pretty this cover it? It's beautiful.

Triple Love Score - Brandi Megan Granett
A poetry professor stumbles into fame and fortune as an anonymous online Scrabble(r) poet. Miranda lives a quiet life among books and letters as a poetry professor in a small upstate town. When two snap decisions turn up the volume on her life, she must decide whether or not her best laid plans actually lead to where her heart wants to go.

I read the first half of this before I had Lucy, and the second half after I had Lucy... which was not a smart move because I had to go back and re-read the first half because I couldn't remember anything. Let's start with what I totally loved: very rich descriptions of the setting, great character development, and the Scrabble board poetry. (Here's a fun fact: despite being well read and loving everything about literature, I absolutely suck at Scrabble, and people are always surprised to learn that about me.) Fortunately, there isn't anything about this book I don't love which pleasantly surprised me because I've been in a reading rut so to speak. 

But we have Miranda, who is the Blocked Poet, with her Scrabble board poetry and she has the opportunity to make this her thing, make it work FOR her. Just as things are looking up, long lost love Scott comes back into her life, with a child in tow, no less. You really feel for Miranda because she really doesn't know who she is even though she's had all of this time alone to find herself, but I think she doesn't really know how to do that (Which can I get an amen? Do any of us know how to do that?!) so once we have Scott back in the picture, Miranda makes some... less than stellar choices. But can we talk about something in the book that I kind of loved? There is the little girl and she basically has a dead beat mom, which is why Scott is raising her. But there is that question, when a new woman comes into the picture, it's so hard to know what your role is. Are you new mom? Bonus mom? Replacement mom? Just dad's girlfriend, not in a mom role at all? I think so many couple struggle with that and we see that in this book but I think the way it's done is just really nice and realistic. That story line could have gone wonky but it's realistic and honest and I thought it was well done. 

Overall? I'm giving this book 4/5 stars. The story was great, the characters were well developed, and though Miranda drove me a little nuts at time, overall I liked her and the story as a whole. You can find a copy of Triple Love Score on Amazon. In the meantime, catch up with Brandi on her website and Twitter! If you have a friend or family member who loves a good contemporary romance, this would make a GREAT holiday gift. You could pair it with a travel Scrabble game or a cute Scrabble themed gift. Look at me, knocking gifts off your holiday shopping lists already. You're welcome, lambs. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sara, thank you for having me!!