Friday, November 18, 2016

Dear Pope Francis

Oh lambs, my heart. I knew as soon as this book came through my email as a potential review I had to do it. I didn't realize how much I was going to need it soon after it came.

Dear Pope Francis - Pope Francis
In this unprecedented book, questions from children from across the world are presented to Pope Francis — and the Pope himself answers each letter. All too often, the big spiritual questions from children are ignored or written off as quaint, but Pope Francis helps every child feel God’s love and know that their voices are valued and heard. With each question charmingly illustrated by the child, Dear Pope Francis lets the Pope respond directly to each child with inspiring, meaningful answers. Pope Francis's joyful warmth and wisdom shine through for parents, grandparents, teachers and, of course, children.

I absolutely should preface this by telling you I'm not really religious. I'm certainly not considered Catholic (though I'm baptized as Catholic), but I have a special spot in my heart for Pope Francis. I feel like he really, more so than the last two Pope's in my lifetime, appreciates the differences in people worldwide and he really tries to be a good soul towards everyone. Some of the statements he's made about public issues throughout the years have really blown me away and made me look at the institution of the Catholic church a little differently.

And this book... the first thing you'll take away is the absolute candor and his genuine love of children and people. The letters from children come from all around the world and showcase their original artwork, a photo of the child and a little information about where they come for, and translated into English where needed. All of the letters are adorable, some are funny and lighthearted, some are serious, and some break your heart because you can only imagine the weight the child must have been feeling in their heart to write to the Pope for guidance. Questions like, "why do some parents argue with each other?", "do bad people have a guardian angel, too?", "my mum is in heaven, will she grow angel wings?"- so many of these questions are so hard for any parent to answer but the answers the Pope gives are just enough to make you break down and sob. The Pope shows off his personality, not something you'd think you'd really see, and does such a great job at conveying a special message with each response.

If you are book shopping for a child in your life, I absolutely recommend this one, no question. This will be one of those books I'll pull out when I need a little pick me up because though some questions make you hurt for these children, the responses give you a good reminder in your own life.

No comments: