Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Becoming Calder

Before we get into today's blog post, I have gotten several emails from people asking me questions about yesterday's post and I just want to say thank you, and I have a part two for you. I feel like I didn't give enough information, so stay tuned for that tomorrow. Swearsies.

In the middle of depression I have been trying to read as much as I can because sometimes that helps. I will tell you right now that this book has a sequel and this books ends in a HUGE cliffhanger, so please order both this book and the sequel, Finding Eden.

Becoming Calder - Mia Sheridan
There is a place in modern day America with no electricity, no plumbing, and no modern conveniences. In this place, there is no room for dreams, no space for self-expression, and no tolerance for ambition.

In this place, there is a boy with the body of a god and the heart of a warrior. He is strong and faithful and serves his family honorably. But he dares to dream of more.

In this place, there is a girl with the face of an angel and a heart full of courage. To her family, she is the vision of obedient perfection. But she dares to want that which she has been told can never be hers.

Becoming Calder is the story of good versus evil, fear versus bravery, and the truth that the light of love has always found its way into even the darkest of places . . . From the beginning of time, to the end of the world.


First off, I'm going to tell you this book starts off kind of weird as it introduces the world of basically a cult in the middle of Arizona. The concept is so foreign to me, and it's a little bizarre, so stick with it during the slow start because it gets so good. It's such an innocent love that you can't help but root for Calder and Eden despite literally every possible roadblock set up to prevent that. Calder is just such a sweet, honorable guy that you know he would literally suffer to the ends of the world to save Eden and give her the life she deserves, and she would do the same. Eden is "destined" to be the bride of Hector, the cult leader, and usher their entire group into the afterlife of Elysium. Calder, after discovering that Hector isn't what he was grown up to believe him to be, and he begins planning his escape from Acadia and Hector... but he wants to bring Eden and his friend Xander with him.

Shenanigans and the scariness of entering the "real world" after having zero experience with money, talking to people, using phones, electricity, etc happen.

The books ends on such a breathtaking cliffhanger that I was literally clutching my chest and yelling at the book.

And immediately ordered book two on Amazon and it should be here by Thursday it said. Hello, weekend plans!

I am SUCH a fan of Mia Sheridan and I've read one other book by her, Kyland, and I absolutely loved it so much. I feel like I'm going to need to purchase everything by her because I love her writing so much and her ability to write such amazing characters. If you are in the market for a really solid love story, pick this two up. And get Kyland as well because I love that book as well.


1 comment:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

There are so many books and so little time to read them all in, I don't read much during the school holidays and at the moment we are having the Christmas school holidays that last for 6 weeks.