Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Spring cleaning... it's never too early

One of the biggest things I have struggled with since having Lucy is cleaning my house. If you knew me before Lucy, you would know I always had a clean house. Things were never piled up anywhere, my laundry basket was always manageable and lord knows my closets were never over flowing with stuff.

Post Lucy, I struggle. My biggest problem is everything feels overwhelming. I can't multi-task like I used to and I can't even make a list because I can't prioritize things like a normal person. It's actually kind of annoying all of the things I can't do and some of them I'm not sure how to explain it, but I know I'm not firing on all cylinders anymore.

But I decided that if I take on small projects, one at a time, I won't be overwhelmed. Like a moron, I started with Olivia's room. I won't put it all out there, but I've decided my kids are hoarders, but Olivia is by far the worst. I can't even tell you how much junk came out of her room, but it was a lot. I spent hours in there but it was worth it.
We got the corner of her room, which was a catch all for everything, cleaned out and her closet.
Then we were given a new-to-us bed frame so Matt carried that to her room. We also got a bunk bed for the Penelope and Lucy from the same friends, but that won't come into the house quite yet. Olivia got her posters hung up from the two concerts she has been to, we got her dresser completely cleaned out and sorted. Her room is actually not gross anymore. Praise the lord.

Thankfully Jackson's wasn't near as bad. His problem was he had all of his Christmas gifts stacked up and needed help organizing things, which wasn't that bad actually.
He has SO much more room to play Lego's, which is his favorite thing to do. He had me move his bed so he was up against the wall again, which is fine.
Then he cleaned up his corner and "found" his chair again (which was under a bunch of clean blankets he couldn't put away in his closet and Christmas gifts). We cleaned out his closet, too and I have three bags of clothes to bring to a friend who has a son that can fit into them. Jackson's clothes are actually in great shape so I'm happy to pass those along to someone who can use them.

Both rooms turned out to be an entire day of cleaning, so probably not the best project to start with, but it's a start. My goal is to get our room cleaned out and painted this spring, but we'll see. I have so many other things to clean out and purge things from before then so I realistically might not get to it. We have had a couple of days of warmer than normal weather for our winter season so I'm in the mood to start spring cleaning. I guess on the bright side by the time it actually is spring, I'll be able to enjoy it, right?

No comments: