Friday, March 31, 2017

Moving right along... literally.

I know I've been pretty MIA around these parts lately but I have a totally valid reason: we're moving.

Well, I'm 99% sure we are.

So you know how we have been doing the Dave Ramsey money program Financial Peace University? Well since doing that we have spent a lot of time reevaluating all of our current expenses, things coming up in the future, and trying to map out the best way to handle all of it. Right now, things are just fine. I mean yes, we have medical bills stacking up, but we are doing a really amazing job at paying down our debt and we've made great strides in improving our personal finances.

BUT.

The realization that my medical costs are never going to go down, and I will be on these medications for the rest of my life, that the kids are getting older and as they get older they get more expensive. We are at least realistic enough that we know Matt can't work insane hours forever, and that I will most likely never work full time again because I'm just not there. Instead of waiting until it's an actual issue, we decided to take the precautionary step to find another home.

I just happened to be on a real estate app when I saw a four bedroom, two bathroom house a block away from our kids' school (and five blocks from my mom), and well within our targeted budget go up for sale. Within a day we went to the bank, got all of our numbers worked out, called our Realtor and got the ball rolling. We made an offer, it was accepted, and now... our home is for sale.

The irony of this is that Matt just finished my kitchen. My back splash is up, and it looks amazing, and now I get to leave it. Last night he put new carpet up the stairs and throughout the upstairs hallway area, it looks amazing and I get to leave it. Pretty much every project I wanted done in this house? Done. And I get to leave it and start completely over.

Sigh.

But I know ultimately? This is by far the best decision for us. My neighbor was so bummed to see the sign go up today but I promised to stay in touch because she's amazing.

So if I'm MIA around here, it's because I'm packing, cleaning, or out of the house while people are looking at our house. I'm optimistic. It's a bummer to leave this house that I love, but then I think- another family will get to enjoy it. They'll get to have their kids grow up here, watch them at the park in the sunny porch, enjoy evening walks next to Lake Superior, and join the other moms when the kids play at the park.

The kids are VERY excited, mostly because we will be surrounded by their friends since we are so close to the school. Jackson already started packing his room and Olivia is thinking about paint colors. I'm so glad they are such troopers and adapt easily because it makes it easier on us.

Say some prayers, think good thoughts, and send positive vibes our way.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my goodness. Wow. So I have been reading your blog on and off for maybe 7 years, but it's been about a year this time. Shit did I miss some big stuff.
I'm so much admiring you- you are just brave and tough and amazing kiddo. Never think for one minute that you have lost what makes you you. I hear your unique voice loud and clear in every post. We've had a few conversations over the years (including one about constipation when Olivia and my daughter Chelsea were maybe 4? 5?)
You do have a talent for writing, and it's still so apparent to me. You're still inspiring.
Moving house is hugely exciting! Absolute best wishes with it, keep rolling with the chaos lady!
Do you ever read Captain Awkward?

middlechild said...

Always praying for you Sara. Always.