Friday, December 22, 2017

Cowboy's Legacy

I've read another book in the Cahill Ranch series and I remember I liked it, so when I got the chance to review another one, I jumped for it.

Cowboy's Legacy - B.J. Daniels
After a rocky marriage and even rockier divorce, Sheriff Flint Cahill finally has something good in his life again. Maggie Thompson's down-to-earth charm and beautiful smile hooked him from the start. When she disappears on the day they plan to start their lives together, all signs point to abduction- and his ex-wife. 

Functioning on adrenaline and instinct, Flint must call on his every resource to bring Maggie home before it's too late. His past and future are blurred. Maggie's only chance at surviving her abductor and a raging winter storm depends on an old vendetta that could destroy it all. But the Cahills don't give up easily, and flint's love will have to be strong enough to conquer anything, including the unimaginable. 
I'm giving this... a solid four stars, let's just get that out of the way. If you like romantic suspense, and are a fan of Karen Robards, Linda Howard, and maybe even a little Nora Roberts when she dabbles in suspense, then you will like this one. Though it's the third book in the Cahill Ranch series, it is a stand alone so not reading the previous two isn't going to be an issue.

So in this book we have Flint, Sheriff with a crazy as a loon ex-wife. It's believed she's stalking, harassing, and intimidating his new love interest, Maggie. Nothing anyone can prove so she's not gotten in trouble for any of it, but she adamantly denies any involvement. Things go from minor to dangerous the day that Maggie impulsively agrees to move in with Flint and ends up abducted. Before things get too crazy, we also learn of another woman who was thought to be murdered by her husband but it turns out that she ran away, assumed another identity, but has now vanished for real this time. Are the two disappearances related?

Let's dig in to the good and the not so great. First, this book was interesting because while it is a romance, and Maggie and Flint's relationship is the point and we see it develop, it develops with them apart. For most of the book. So it's interesting to see a relationship get stronger considering the situation, I really can't think of another book where I've encountered that. I do have to mention that the suspense aspect of this book is really pretty great, I had no idea what was going on, how the web all connected things, I couldn't see the larger picture, so as I got to the end it all unraveled really well and that made this a pretty hard book to put down, so bravo there. I also want to point out it does have a Christmas feel to it, so it feels weird to recommend a book about abductions as a good holiday read, but I'm doing it, guys. The only reason I'm not giving this a 5 star is... I kind of couldn't stand Maggie. I know! It's kind of an unpopular opinion but right away she rubbed me wrong. She comes off as annoying and hard to like, she overthinks everything, she obsesses over minor things, she wants to marry Flint but doesn't want to move in because it's a big step... it just felt odd. I also thought it was odd that we have a woman who has no interest in delving into Flint's past and finding out what worked and what didn't in his previous marriage, and also no interest in sharing anything from her past- how was that really going to work out long term? Honestly if she was just a little less frustrating and conflicted I would have given this 5 stars because the suspense made it worth reading.

Happy reading, lambs! Are you following me on Goodreads? If you are then you know my goal was to read and review 100 books this year... I am ONE away. Will I do it by December 31? Psh- of course I will. Come on now. Do you have reading goals? Are you making any for 2018? I think I'm going to stick with my 100 again. Maybe I'll say 105? That feels a bit crazy though. I don't know. We'll see!
   

1 comment:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour!
- Heather J @ TLC Book Tours