Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Book Review: Long Shot

I know this book is almost 500 pages and I have a personal rule against long books because I think they are ridiculous. I am telling you to PLEASE BELIEVE ME that every page is worth it. It's a slow burn and it is everything. This will end up in my top 5 of the year book list. Guaranteed. It was so good that I finished it in two days. 500 pages in TWO DAYS, lambs. That's unheard of.

Long Shot - Kennedy Ryan

A Standalone FORBIDDEN LOVE SET IN THE EXPLOSIVE WORLD OF THE NBA...

Think you know what it's like being a baller's girl?
You don't.
My fairy tale is upside down.
A happily never after.
I kissed the prince and he turned into a fraud.
I was a fool, and his love - fool's gold.

Now there's a new player in the game, August West. 
One of the NBA's brightest stars.
Fine. Forbidden. 
He wants me. I want him.
But my past, my fraudulent prince, just won't let me go.


Before I rave about this book I have to be fully upfront with you and tell you that the first half is TOUGH TO READ. It features domestic violence (pretty brutal stuff) and rape. I had no idea going into it but within the first few chapters you get a sense of foreboding so just know that going in. The author did a fantastic job because honestly, those scenes are written so well that you feel like this happened to you and you are reading your damn diary. So.. beware.

But this is the love story of August and Iris. It's like star crossed lovers at first, they want to be together but they can't because Iris is dating Caleb and he feels like a sure thing. August would be a gamble and she doesn't have the guts to do it. It turns out to be a pivotal decision she would think about in all the years to come. There is SO MUCH that I want to say about this book but everything would be spoilers and I don't want to ruin a second of it. The author takes you through every emotion, you're angry when you can see the writing on the wall and Iris can't, you're angry and scared when Caleb switches, you're sad and longing when Iris has her stolen moments with August, you feel terrible for August and pray he waits a little longer for her. There's a part in the book where August tells Iris that if she were his girl, he would play her at the five... meaning she would be the center of his world. I UGLY CRIED. Honestly, I can't think of a more panty dropping, romantic moment ever. Honestly, I really can't.

And you know what I kept thinking of? Remember a few years ago that football player got into trouble because there was video proof of him dragging his fiance from an elevator by her hair? And then everyone was angry at her for staying and they ended up doing a joint interview for TV? I kept t thinking about her and thinking how this might be her story and I worry so much for her. Like is she dealing with the hell that Iris did? Does she feel hopeless and stuck like Iris? Just so many emotions with this book.

If there is a book I would recommend all year for anyone, it's this one. It's so well written and it is so heavy and at the same time completely hopeful which makes you feel totally crazy. If ever there was a character to root for it's Iris, but also August, too. Two fantastically built characters, flaws and all, and such a fist pumping ending. Could not put this down, I actually fell asleep holding it. No joke.
   

1 comment:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oh wow, this sounds intense! Not that I mind those type of reads if they are done well, so I'm glad to hear you liked this one. I remember that story about the girl being dragged by her hair! It's so horrible that people want to blame the victim.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net