Friday, July 20, 2018

Book Review: When We Found Home

Honestly, does Susan Mallery ever write a dud? Let's be honest- she's amazing so it's no wonder her latest is great.

When We Found Home - Susan Mallery

Life is meant to be savored, but that's not easy with no family, limited prospects and a past you'd rather not talk about. Still, Callie Smith doesn't know how to feel when she discovers she has a brother and a sister--Malcolm, who grew up with affection, wealth and privilege, and Keira, a streetwise twelve-year-old. 



Callie doesn't love being alone, but at least it's safe. Despite her trepidation, she moves into the grand family home with her siblings and grandfather on the shores of Lake Washington, hoping just maybe this will be the start of a whole new life.

But starting over can be messy. Callie and Keira fit in with each other, but not with their posh new lifestyle, leaving Malcolm feeling like the odd man out in his own home. He was clever enough to turn a sleepy Seattle mail-order food catalog into an online gourmet powerhouse, yet he can't figure out how to help his new sisters feel secure. Becoming a family will take patience, humor, a little bit of wine and a whole lot of love. 

But love isn't Malcolm's strong suit... until a beautiful barista teaches him that an open heart, like the family table, can always make room for more.

I know I'm biased because I am such a fan of Susan Mallery but I absolutely loved this book. It's such a great summer read, you'll find yourself flying through it like me!

Alright, so in this book we have Malcolm (who is running the family business, older brother), Callie (convicted felon, trying to turn her life around but she's Malcolm's half sister he never knew about), and Keira (the youngest and Malcolm's half sister but she's 12 and has a life time of abandonment issues) and the story circles around the three of them learning what a family is and how to be one despite their differences.

Side plots is Malcolm learning to love again with Delaney and Delaney figuring out how to move on from a tragedy. We also have Santiago changing his ways once he meets Callie and deems her the love of his life but also convincing Callie she's worthy of goodness in her life despite past mistakes. We also have Keira learning how to love her family and understand that people aren't always going to run out on her.

This books gets a lot of things right, the interpersonal relationships throughout the book are managed well and you never feel like you're being jerked from one story line to the next, it is a smooth transition back and forth. I loved all of the characters except Delaney- she really bugged me all the way to the end because I kept wanting her to get over herself. She isn't all that and a bag of chips, she felt very self-absorbed and I didn't like it. Keira was a little over the top for me too but I kept reminding myself she was 12, turning 13, and having one of those kids myself I know how they can be.

Overall I'm giving this one a solid 4 stars. Susan Mallery can do no wrong for me and I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. (I also am crushing hard on Malcolm, FYI). This is worthy of a splurge, I promise. Also below check out a fun giveaway for a fabulous prize package, you can enter every day!
   


1 comment:

traveler said...

My favorite novel is The Secret of the Tulip Sisters. Thanks for this lovely feature and giveaway.