Wednesday, August 22, 2018

We smashed some pumpkins on date night.

I feel out of sorts this week which I guess isn't anything new so I apologize for not posting as much lately. I swear I have a life and things to talk about! 

On Sunday Matt and I went on a date but this one was a first for us in over three years- all of our kids went to grandma's house. Olivia, Jackson, and Penelope went to Matt's parent's home, and then Lucy went to my mom's. 
 I was kind of sad to leave Lucy for the night. I know 100% she's in good hands, she was going to have fun, and there would be nothing to worry about. But she's my baby and I think really knowing she's the last one, milestones feel more significant with her. My mom thinks I never felt this way with Olivia and Jackson because somehow I knew I wasn't done. And maybe that's true. But I know for sure Lucy is the end so every milestone she hits it's like I'm closing a door I won't ever open again. It's bittersweet for sure. 
 So after a quick goodbye, Matt and I were on the road. Which ended up being a nightmare. We left at 3 p.m. thinking we'd get there around 5, have dinner, and walk into the show at 7. No problem! Except there was construction. I had literally just driven this highway a few days before through the construction and just zipped right through, no issues. This time we were stopped for a solid twenty minutes and what should have been a two hour drive ended up being a four hour drive. We had just enough time to park, pee, and sit down before the show started. So we ended up eating gross concession stand food that tasted like it had been sitting out for several hours. Totally gross. 
 The date night was all around The Smashing Pumpkins latest tour basically promoting their entire back catalog. I actually saw them way back in 2012 so I wasn't sure how this show was going to play out. 
 It was actually pretty amazing. If you're curious, you can see the entire setlist HERE
 I forgot how long Porcelina of the Vast Oceans was but man... that is not a song for a concert. I feel like concerts should fit in as much music as possible and not drag out on one song forever. At some point it was like, come ON. We want another song. 
 Stairway to Heaven cover was kind of a dud, but so was Space Oddity, and in that one Billy Corgan got kind of weird. Hearing Mayonnaise live was pretty great and it was definitely a fan favorite. 
The crowd didn't disappoint during moments it became a sing along but I was really surprised at how chill the crowd was. Maybe because their fans are pushing 40 and we just aren't able to rock out like we once could, but also because we are all thinking about going to bed around 9 as it is. Unexpected sing along was for Thirty Three, I didn't expect the crowd to go wild for that song but they sure did. 

Overall it was absolutely worth the $46 I paid for each ticket. I know some paid almost $200 and I don't want to do that but this felt like a Smashing Pumpkins concert in their heyday. Gone were the skinny silver pants replaced with robes. Oh! Also a really great surprise was Jimmy Chamberlain and James Iha joining on this tour. James did all of the talking to the crowd and you can tell the crowd was glad to see almost all of the founding members there. We were missing D'arcy but she's got her own problems. But 3/4 ain't bad! 

We left before the encore to beat the traffic in the parking lot and it was a LONG drive home. It was super nice to crash into bed when we got here, though. We got home at about 2 in the morning and Matt was at work by 6 because he is insane and super dedicated to his job. But you can best believe we crashed hard on Monday night. We can still party like rock stars.... it's just a longer recovery. HA! 

3 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sounds like an overall fun show, and how cool most of the original members were there!!! Sorry about the awful traffic though - there is SO MUCH construction around me and it's annoying.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Erica Robyn said...

Aww, awesome!! My friends went to one of their tour stops recently and they LOVED the show!

Suzanne @ The Bookish Libra said...

I'm glad to hear the show was worth the money even though some of their song choices weren't the best choices for concerts. I haven't listened to any of their music in ages but remember being obsessed with Siamese Dream when it first came out.