Monday, September 30, 2019

Cursed, Wild, and more!

I have so many book reviews and frankly, I have no more room in my calendar until mid November for posts, so my solution is to do a couple of books on one post. Sneaky, huh? Ha! Which will be tricky because for me to condense my thoughts so these aren't the longest posts of all time is going to be tough.
Cursed - Thomas Wheeler 

Whosoever wields the Sword of Power shall be the one true King.

But what if the Sword has chosen a Queen?

Nimue grew up an outcast. Her connection to dark magic made her something to be feared in her Druid village, and that made her desperate to leave…

That is, until her entire village is slaughtered by Red Paladins, and Nimue’s fate is forever altered. Charged by her dying mother to reunite an ancient sword with a legendary sorcerer, Nimue is now her people’s only hope. Her mission leaves little room for revenge, but the growing power within her can think of little else.

Nimue teams up with a charming mercenary named Arthur and refugee Fey Folk from across England. She wields a sword meant for the one true king, battling paladins and the armies of a corrupt king. She struggles to unite her people, avenge her family, and discover the truth about her destiny.

But perhaps the one thing that can change Destiny itself is found at the edge of a blade.


Alright, so if you have a child who is really into comics- this is a really great book for them. If you have a kid who loved comics when they were little and now they "hate to read"- this is a really good book for them. Make no mistake, this isn't a comic book, it's a 400+ page novel with amazing illustrations throughout to make this story come alive. I'm not super excited about fantasy but even I had a good time reading this one, and now my son (11) is completely into it. The cool thing is that this is going to be Netflix original series soon so you could read this and then watch it on screen. I'm interested to see how they bring some of this to life on the screen. I will say it read kind of like a screen play to me? I do like the story, I like a re-telling of a classic but with a twist, and I like when the character we have always envisioned is completely different than the one we're getting in the book. Overall, this is 3 for me. I liked it, I didn't love it, but I think if fantasy is your preferred genre you may enjoy this one a lot.

A HUGE thank you to Simon & Schuster for my ARC!

   
Wild  (Honor Bound #4) - Angel Payne

Five mini-episodes give emotional updates for the couples with whom you’ve fallen in love during the series’ first three books, as well as a not-to-be-missed preview of what’s in store for Tait Bommer and Kellan Rush in Wet, book five in the Honor Bound series.

“Raze the Barn”: Garrett and Sage reignite their flame as Dominant and submissive during a well-timed visit to see Wyatt and Josie on the farm, and a visit to “kinky barn” that neither will soon forget.

“Tie the Knots”: Garrett and Sage have finally said “I do,” but the knot-tying lessons have just begun for Zeke and Rayna, the best man and maid of honor who only have eyes—and other body parts—for each other.

“Diamonds In The Rain”: Ethan is taking Ava home to meet his parents, but when a mansion full of friends is invited for the occasion, there’s a storm of deeper conflict for the couple, requiring Runway to expose his “inner Dom” in a decadent new way.

“Glacier Girl”: Josie is burned-out and emotionally frozen until Wyatt whisks her away for a weekend full of erotic surprises—and one shocking surprise guest.

“Moonrise”: Their road to love was filled with the craziest twists life could deal before it completely blew up the route. Now, Luna is locked from Tait in a night that doesn’t seem to have an end. Can he bring the light of love back to her?

If you've been a reader for awhile you know I have read a good variety of books. I've read some stuff that made even me blush, some that made me feel downright uncomfortable, some that were so on the edge that if this were a real person I'd call for a welfare check. I think we all have a different idea of what is sexy so this might be a home run for someone. Maybe lots of people.

It very much was not for me.

Also, I want this noted that this was one of the "extra" books in my Bookworm Box so it isn't one that I necessarily would have picked up at a store. It has a series of five short stories, which I love because I feel like I can get a section done before bed and I'm not hanging on a cliff hanger. I should tell you I only made it through three of the five, so technically this is a DNR (did not finish) but I read enough to surmise what the heck was going on.

They are heavy BDSM stories so if that isn't your thing, right off the bat this isn't your thing. It's not even Fifty Shades BDSM, this is more "realistic" I suppose and I say that loosely because if any guy said some of this stuff to me I'd tell him to pound sand. The men are supposed to be domineering, macho, and masculine but they come off as assholes in need of therapy. The first story was the worst for me and why I stuck around, I don't know. Sage has post partum depression so her husband's solution is to reinstate their D/s relationship to show her who is really the boss. (EYE ROLL) Sage is all for it apparently and just... I don't understand the mentality of any of this and maybe it's because I'm in extensive counseling for depression myself but this couldn't be any more unhealthy. Honestly. Oh, and at the end he's like "and see a counselor". (Do you hear that sound? That's the sound of my eye balls rolling out of the back of my head onto the floor.) Just.. no. The stories are all kind of like that and I just can't deal with this. It's too corny, it's too dumb, it's just too much.

Of course everyone else on Goodreads loves it so maybe it's me.
   
Coming Soon! 
Here are some things you will see here soon... 
   
   

No comments: