Friday, June 8, 2018

Book Review: A Shadow of Light

I'm trying SO HARD to get through the series books I have started on my shelves and I'm working on back list titles. Does this stop me from ordering new books? No but I legitimately cannot stop myself. Matt might have to close down my Amazon account soon.

A Shadow of Light - Bella Forrest

Since the implosion at The Oasis and Derek's stay at Hawk Headquarters, The Shade has fallen into a state of utter chaos. To make matters worse, the citizens of Derek's kingdom have become suspicious of his loyalties and accuse him of siding with the enemy... At a time when Derek desperately needs full cooperation from his subjects, they wish to put their own King on trial.

Meanwhile, Sofia is being held hostage by the hunters. They are determined to rid her of her infatuation with the vampire. She submits to the strict routine and training they impose on her, but the only fuel that keeps her going is the thought of reuniting with Derek - something Reuben is fighting with every fiber of his being to ensure will never happen. 

...Until one day, out of the blue, Reuben appears to have a change of heart and comes to Sofia with a proposal; a solution that she never dreamed possible. A solution that would fulfil her heart's deepest desires and secure her and Derek's future together, forever.

But can she really trust this man who is so renowned for his hatred of vampires? Does she even have a choice?

To be clear, these are not stand alone titles, you absolutely have to read them starting from book one to understand anything that is going on and why some things are significant to the greater story. 

So in this book we have Sofia trapped at hunters' headquarters and Derek is going back to The Shade. Sofia learns who her mother is, learns she's crazy as a loon, and learns her dad is the same way just differently. Derek arrives to what is basically a civil war and his father has challenged him. A few key people die in this book so I'm kind of glad to see movement in that regards but it makes me wonder who else is going to go in future books because this author gives zero craps about your feelings, she will kill anyone she wants to on a whim. In a way that's really refreshing because if you can imagine yourself in this world you can imagine some deaths would happen on a whim so it feels more true to the story.

Sofia and Derek continue to struggle to be together. I don't know why they are letting mortality to get in the way. They are worrying about a greater problem that can be worked on later on instead of focusing on the fact they are supposed to be together and then worry about that stuff. Instead they are doing it all backwards and I'll be honest, I'm getting kind of tired of it. You know what else I'm tired of? Sofia's blind... love? Maybe it's not that but she continues to love her parents despite the fact they continue to be absolutely worthless in meeting her needs and considering what's actually best for her. She saves herself in this book though so I have to give credit where it's due.

We also see a return of Vivienne, which is great because even though she's kind of odd, she continues to be reliable and there when you need her and I've really missed her.

I only have three more books in this series that I'm going to read because I refuse to get stuck in teh series that never ends, and this one is exactly that. The fact that this series is like eight books long (the Derek and Sofia part) is ridiculous but I'm going to keep going because now I'm all invested. These are currently free on KindleUnlimited and worth the read, they are really quick to get through so you can probably pass me up since I can only read these between review books.
   

No comments: