Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Book Review: The Cost of Honor

I already completed my Goodreads Reading Challenge for 2019 so any book this month is just extra so maybe it'll motivate me to increase my goal for next year? I don't know... we'll see.

In between baking cookies I've been reading and I'm not hating it because I've had some really good books waiting for me, including this one.

The Cost of Honor - Diana Muñoz Stewart
He gave up everything to escape his family
The only male to be adopted into the notorious Parish family, Tony Parish always did right by his vigilante sisters. But when an attempt to protect one of them went horribly wrong, he had to fake his own death to escape his fanatical family. Tony set sail and ended up in Dominica—face to face with the woman of his dreams...
Now he must give up Honor to save her
After the death of her mother, Honor Silva moved to Dominica, where her family could help her heal and move on. But her activist mother left her more than money, she left her proof that could take down one of the richest and most powerful men in the world.
Tony gave up everything he thought he knew when he fled his family. But when a threat too dangerous for Tony and Honor to fight on their own closes in, he has no choice but to go to them for help. Problem is, they'll demand something in return—something that could cost Tony not just Honor, but also the love that changed him forever.
Let us start by saying this is book three in the Black Ops Confidential series but if you haven't read the other two, I think you should because they are really good. If you don't, it's going to be OK because each book is its own "couple" so you won't be terribly in the dark because the author does do a good job of keeping you up to date on whats going on. I will say if I were you, I'd read them in order because by the time you get to this book, you'll understand why Tony being here is a big "what the hell is going on?!". To recap though, I Am Justice is the first book and The Price of Grace is book two, and I have been liking this series the further I go and The Cost of Honor continues that because I really liked this book. Again, this one is just under 400 pages and you know I normally have a 300 page count limit because I like to get through a book quickly, I had no problem flying through this. The great thing about this author is she doesn't mess around with too much fluff to take up pages, the story is constantly going and you find it hard to put down or at least find a good stopping point.

In this book we have Tony, who we thought died in book one but found out he didn't in book two, and book three is his much needed story. Everything in this book was more of what you liked in books one and two- we have more danger, we have more suspense, we have more sex, we have more heat, and we have more moments that make you physically feel like you're actually in it and that alone is doing it for me.

If I had to give you something that I would put in the "that's kind of weird/meh" column, I would say it's the League of Warrior Women as a whole. In the first book I was kind of intrigued and thought ok, this could get interesting. Book two it's a little stranger and I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but by the end of this book it just feels straight up odd. Almost like a vigilante cult. I'm not sure if the author set out for it to be like that and I don't know if other people are reading it like that, but that's where I am. Except Tony is the exception to the group which is kind of odd but I'll go with it. Him coming back is the catalyst of a whole set of dominoes that move this book along. This family is straight up nuts. I want so badly to talk about what is really going on but it would ruin the book for you.

I can't quite give this 5 stars because the Parish family is just so strange and I really don't think I like them... so I'm giving this a 4. I say that also knowing this one is my favorite of all three.

   
Thank you to Sourcebooks and TLC Book Tours for inviting me on this tour and sending me a copy in exchange for review, all thoughts and opinions are my own. 

No comments: