Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Friends, Dirty Bowling, and Dive Bars

Oh lordy Lucy... it was a GREAT weekend. I could go for days about how much fun I had, but let's do a quickie recap for you!

So a few weeks ago my friend Amy said she wanted to come up for another weekend of fun and crazy times and hopefully recapture the awesome that was my birthday party. And as much fun as my birthday was... I had more fun this weekend. Maybe it was because everyone already knew each other this time or maybe it was because Colorado Bulldog drinks were on special, I don't know, but it was a great Saturday.

First up, Amy came and we shopped. Then I took her quickly around Canal Park because it was freezing and windy so we didn't get to go into all of the little shops. But we met up with my friend Emily for dinner at Grandma's Sports Garden and we had a super newbie waitress. We all had a good supper and then we were going to meet Tammy, my brother Travis and his friend Phil at this super dive bowling alley by my house. Emily even brought her husband Corey which was super fun to hang out with him too.

Can I just tell you, like really emphasize, that the bowling alley by my house is so much more ghetto that I ever remembered? First off the bathroom smells like cloves, cinnamon and piss. Then all of the available balls to use were really dirty. For example, I put my fingers in one and it was sticky. Gross. I had to settle on a six pound bright orange thing with tiny holes because everything else would have taken me with it down the lane. Then the floor was REALLY slippery. I told Amy if I don't face plant in the lane I'll consider it a win. The other awesome? Is that nobody really knows what they bowled because the score keeping was wrong. It said people got a spare when pins were still up. Balls got stuck, I think Emily had to reset it every time it was her turn. The place was gross.
 But for a moment, let's just marvel at how effing skinny I look here. Yes. Amazing.

After bowling we decided to head to Keyport so we can enjoy the lameness of this bar and admire the terrible karaoke singers. It far exceeded all expectations. Everybody, (except Emily and Corey who made it an early night) made it to the bar and we were eventually joined by my friend Jessica and her friend Jessie, who I didn't know but she is awesome sauce. She's my kind of peep.
 This is Amy and I early in the night I think.
 Then this is me and Amy (and Phil's hat) a little later. Probably my fav picture of the night?

What's awesome is that I have a really awesome brother. And his BFF/co-worker/room mate Phil is equally cool. And they are both effing hilarious. They also are total gentlemen because this is the second time they've paid to get my friends drunk. I mean, really.
 Here's a list of things that happened during the night: Travis burned himself on a cigar and Amy threw ice at him, Travis and Phil stayed out much too late and drank too much seeing how Travis had to work at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, Phil got some kissing action by someone (names never to be mentioned...), a bachelorette party came to the bar and we all merged into one giant group which ended with a major sing a long of Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" with all of us dancing, a new drink was discovered (Colorado Bulldog) courtesy of Jessie, and a biker wannabe from across the bar winked at me. Overall, the night was win. Not to mention the hilarious conversation and us singing along with whoever was singing karaoke. This time we came very close to convincing the boys to sing for us. Next time for sure.
 Jessica, Travis and me at the end of the night, right before bar close.
 I don't care what anyone says- I freaking love this picture. This looks like everyone was having an awesome time and we were. Amy, Tammy and Phil. I see a party bus in our future?
Oh man- I loved this one too. :) Jessie, Travis and Jessica. Jessie is trying to soothe Travis's cigar burn on his hand and Jessica is making her shocked face.

So at bar close I gave Amy a ride back to her hotel and Tammy a ride to her house, but on the way... we went past a gay bar called The Flame. (You'll remember I've actually been to The Flame before.) But there was a party bus outside and I drove around the block to get a picture of the back:

Now, in case you can't read it, it says "Quit Beeping My Beav Yo!" Yeah- that needs to be a PSA somewhere. It just does. Apparently, someone named Sam was celebrating his/her 23rd bday (as appropriately written on a side window). Have I ever mentioned how trashy Superior really is? And if you are looking for dive bars we really are the mecca? Whatever this city is doing to increase tourism I really feel they need to start going towards promoting our dive bars. Truly. It's an untapped market.

It was a late night but it was so totally worth it. I always have friends who are different from each other but so far they have all gotten along really well when we come together. And then to see people friending each other on Facebook is so awesome. I don't want to take credit for it because they are all awesome and anyone would be lucky to call them a friend, but I'm glad I brought this group together. And we are going to plan a get together but this time in Amy's area.

Not to mention that the more I hang out with Amy the more I adore her. She is so fun, I always have great conversation with her, and I feel like we've known each other forever. What I also love is that her and my friend Tammy have totally hit it off. And I think that's cool because Tammy is one of my besties for life. She and I are like exact copies of the other. I also love that my friends are pretty much down for anything and I don't have to worry about any kind of drama getting into the mix. They are just down to earth and fun. And I think I mentioned it, but Jess and I? Like wow. We were friends from third grade and then I moved away in 7th grade, and to get together now? You would never have known we've ever been apart. It's awesome.

I also should mention I love my brother bunches and his friend Phil is like my second brother. Who totally reminds me of Dexter (the show) and I don't care what anyone says. :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Beav Beeping sounds like it should be a collegiate sport...

Jealous for the awesome weekend! I spent it getting into fights with absolutely everyone in this town. It was me vs the world at one point.

Oilfield Trash said...

Sounds like a great time.

You all sound like my kind of people I could have fun with.

And lastly, the weight loss is working, you were rocking the jeans in that picture.

Shirley said...

I used to LOVE Colorado Bulldogs...I can't handle the vodka though:(

Josie said...

Your bro looks like Steve Carrell.....just saying.

AND you look super :) And I'm not the type of person that usually says 'super'.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Damn don't you look good the weight loss is working, I am so happy you had a great time.......

SherilinR said...

sticky bowling ball holes? eewwww!
but it looks like a night for the memory banks to be stored & enjoyed forever.

Canadianbloggergirl said...

Hey girlie! Oh how I am sorry that I your loyal lambwhore was not around to wish you a happy birthday. So I'm gonna say Happy Belated Birthday my Awesomeness!

Sounds like you had an amazing weekend!!!

CBG
canadianbloggergirl.blogspot.com

Ang said...

Sounds like an awesome night! I've heard LOTS of stories about the bars in Sup-town (I have a few friends who live in Duluth)... it might be in my best interest to check them out sometime!

____j said...

You look so cute in the pic where you're bowling!

Julie H said...

Sounds like fun! I need another really fun girls night out.

mom in rome said...

Hello!
I am from the Lady Blogger Tea Party and I got to know your blog through that!!!
I am glad I did!
I am now an happy followe!