Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Sixes

Time for another book review! A little over a year ago I read and reviewed Hush by Kate White and so when I got the opportunity to read another book she's written, I totally jumped on it.

The Sixes
View The Sixes.jpg in slide show
Right after Phoebe Hall’s long-term boyfriend breaks off their relationship, she’s falsely accused of plagiarizing her latest bestselling celebrity biography. Looking for a quiet place to put her life back together, she jumps at the offer to teach in a small private college in Pennsylvania run by her former boarding school roommate. But something evil lurks behind the quiet campus cafés and leafy maple trees. When the body of a female student washes up on the banks of a nearby river, disturbing accusations begin to surface about abuses wrought by a secret campus society known as The Sixes. Haunted by memories of her own school days, Phoebe launches a private investigation, and soon finds herself in the middle of a real-life nightmare, not knowing whom she can trust and if she will even survive. Because with the truth comes a terrifying revelation: your darkest secrets can still be uncovered . . . and starting over may be a crime punishable by death.


I always forget how much I love a good mystery until I find myself reading one, and this was pretty damn good. Let me talk about the things that annoyed me first so we can move on quickly from that to what I liked about the book. First off, I kind of wanted to punch Phoebe. I wanted to punch Phoebe because she's that woman who is always way too focused on the wrong thing. She's setting aside her personal safety and ignoring blatant warnings in order to figure out who the Sixes are and what their role is on campus. Never mind the fact that I never felt like the Sixes were a big deal. Is this wrong of me? In hind sight I think maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with me that I don't think they are a big deal. 


Moving on from that, I really liked that I absolutely had no idea what was going on. I couldn't figure out all of the puzzle pieces to solve it. I will say that I absolutely did not see the ending coming even though the character who was the culprit seemed a bit off to me. I couldn't figure out what it was about that person's story (see, I'm not giving you ANY hints) that seemed strange, but having watched every episode of every variety of Law & Order at least twice, something was totally off. Which is what Hutch (a character) suspected and tried to share with Phoebe. 


So overall? This was good. Best mystery ever? No, but it was entertaining and I enjoyed reading it for sure. It's enough to keep you intrigued all the way through. Even for the last minute curve ball thrown at the end. 


I suggest you check out Kate's website and even her Facebook. After reading her books you'll consider yourself a fan. I can't wait for her next one! 


View tlc tour host.png in slide show

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that this was (overall) a good, solid mystery read for you!

Thanks for being on the tour.

trish said...

I love books that have me guessing the whole way through!